Monday, August 18, 2014

A day with Thai !!!

Don't ask me why
Maybe out of curiosity, maybe because nothing to do
Anyway, I went for a friendship day with the Thai workers in singapore 

To be frank, I don't even know there is Thai workers in singapore
I thought singapore only has Bangladesh and Indonesian workers
So I am surprised that the amount of Thai people in singapore
That's why I signed up for the event

A little more about me: I can speak mandarin, Malay, English and Cantonese
But NOT THAI
although there is a handout given, I didn't really read through it
In other words, I cannot speak Thai at all
Hmm... Maybe I can say HELLO in Thai 

The event venue is  near lavender, in a basketball court near north bridge food court 
As I am not really familiar to singapore, I took some time to fingered it out the location
Anyway, after asking and searching plus getting lost, I manage to get to the venue although I am 30 minutes late! Haha
Blur queen!

Let's talk about what I have heard and seen there
Actually the Thai men usually work in construction sector
Most if them are dealing with electrical and supervised the construction projects
Their pay is not very high but it is enough for them
Oh, I also noticed that most of the workers are at their middle age 
they have been in sinagpore for about ten year 
Many of them can speak pretty good English and mandarin
I talked to them and asking them about singapore
To them sinagpore is nearer to Thai and that's the main reason they come over
Usually they stay at dorm that provided by the boss
Yet, it is all in the rural area like woodlands


I spoke to a worker and he mentioned that he has been here for 13 years
His children already 23 and 27
He is now 50+ yet still working
His daughter is a teacher and the son is also working in Thai
Yet he still need to work so that the family can have a better life

On the other hand, for the Thai women, they usually work as domestic helpers 
But nowadays they usually come over for marriage 
Many of them married Singaporean 
There are still some women doing Thai massage yet fewer

The younger generation doesn't want to come singapore anymore
Because the pay is lower
They prefer to go Europe or Israel
For agriculture sector, usually they will go Israel for mass production using high technology 
Thai is very good at agriculture especially in rice sector

I realized that Thai are very friendly and cheerful 
They usually gather together for events 
Although the pay is not high, they treasure what they have
They are creative as well 
A great example is the games we played!


Can u imagine what we are playing?
Yup, I think u get it right
We need to use eggplant to "kick" the ball into the goal
I participate the game as well
It is quite fun!
Perhaps next year o camp should include this game


It is a great experience for me
First time get in touch with Thai 
I realized that actually a lot of Singaporean is interested in Thai language and took up Thai in university
Some even when Thailand for exchange

 a little small boy named Tim
3 year old boy that claimed himself as 5!
mixed blood Thai! 
so cute!




No comments:

Post a Comment