Friday, February 6, 2015

7 Habits Camp


It is really an awesome camp. I learn more about the right attitude towards my life. Although the camp is just 3 days 2 night, all the 7 habits are covered.

Perspective or paradigm is very important. Many things have different outcome if paradigm changes. I totally agree with this. It reminds me on a saying, life is just like a mirror, you smile and your reflection smiles; you cry and it cries too. In other words, mindset is very important and this is also why many people undergo the same incident or process but have different outcome. This is because how we see things will affect what we do and then what we get. See things in a positive perspective and the world will be wonderful.

The first habit is be proactive. Stop complaining and be responsible of your choice as that is what you have chosen to be because you have the freedom and power to change the situation. So, now before I make any decisions, I will stop and think about the pros and cons before I response. Besides, I also learnt that I cannot control what others think about me, but I can control myself. So, I should let others influence me too much.

Setting a goal is very important in our life, no matter it is long-term or short-term. In habit 2, I learnt that I must get a very clear goal and keep that in mind by having a Personal Mission Statement. Hence, I will write my goal down and plan what can be done to achieve it. This is also why I am now using a planner to schedule what I want to achieve and what I need to do.

This also leads to habit 3 which is Put First Things First, basically time management. By focusing what is important, I will plan my time based on the priorities so that I am able to achieve my goals. I found that I really need to say “No” to many things as I would like to have both world in hands, I spent a lot of my time in my CCAs and building friendship but neglected my studies. As this semester is not S/U-able like last semester, I need study harder to achieve better grades. My goal is to score well in this semester so I need to make changes to achieve it.

It is true that cooperating is better than competing and hence think for a win-win situation, empathic communication and collaborations are very important. To practice these habits, I will need to be more considering, use emphatic listening skills and seek for third alternative in order to have a better results and stronger relationship. This are skills and attitude that I really needed especially in group project. In many cases, I think I am too rational, I don’t understand and empathy, now I am learning to put myself in others’ shoes so that I can build closer relationships.

The last habit mentioned is sharpen the saw which focus more on self-renewal. I knew that I need to continually improve myself so that I am be more competence. So from time to time, I will set goals and plan time for myself to recharge myself. Studies and future is important but I do need to take care of my body, soul and mind in order to success in life.

Throughout this camp, I not only learn how to be an effective person but get to know many new friends, although most of us are taking the same module and staying in CAPT, we don’t really know each other as most of them are in year 2. So, I took this opportunity to know them and hopefully we can work well in the future projects.

I am really glad that I can attend this camp, it is a very hands-on camp as we can apply all the habits we learnt in the team building games which is related to real life scenario. I would like to thank everyone who organized this camp as they spent their wonderful weekends to let me learn more about the 7 effective habits which will be very useful for my whole life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment